Sunday, December 1, 2013

Basilica dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo

We returned to the Lay Center this afternoon to explore Case Romane, the home of two famous martyrs, brothers, and soldiers, John and Paul.  It was crazy to tour a home from the third century, I kept trying to picture the brothers who inhabited the home, what went on inside the home, and what it looked like with it's full interior design as opposed to the bits and pieces that were preserved and on display for us.  I was shocked at how the decor of the home had much more Roman influence than Christian, seeing as they were men devoted to their faith and died in the name of Jesus.  Just when I assumed that the room called Ninfeo di Proserpina had artwork depicting Christian themes I was proved wrong when we were told it was a scene of Persophene in the underworld.  I was under the impression that the small men in the scene were angels, but they were actual little men used for comic relief in Greek mythology called putti.  

Moving on to the Basilica, when I first stepped in I was overwhelmed by the beauty and intricacies within this church.  To my left I saw a beautiful altar and shrine type display honoring Santa Gemma Galgani.  It suddenly hit me that this was the Saint I chose to take for my confirmation name back when I was a freshman in high school.  I chose Saint Gemma because of her compassion for the poor and devotion to taking care of her seven brothers and sisters when her parents passed away.  It was a great coincidence that this was the first display I saw when I entered the church.  All of the other statues and works of art were incredible in this basilica, I was mostly impressed with the beautiful chandeliers hanging up.  We were informed that this basilica was unique because no renovations had taken place since it's construction in the 12th century.  














Saint Gemma of Galgani









Inside the Basilica of John and Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment